Thursday, October 16, 2014

Another Fairfield repack

I keep buying these things and I keep not being disappointed. This was a 103-card pack for $3.99. You can't beat 4 cents a card.  Nothing earthshaking in the pack but some nice cards nonetheless.

You can usually count on a handful of 1970s cards. I have hardly any 1970s cards that aren't Phillies so I usually get 1970s cards I don't have.

1979 Topps #37 Joe Kerrigan
Joe, a Philadelphia native, only had a 4-year career as a pitcher but he had a 27-year career as a pitching coach, including a stint with the Phillies.

1979 Topps #465 Reggie Smith
Reggie had a pretty impressive 17-year career as a player. He was a member of the Dodgers team that knocked the Phillies out of the playoffs in 1977 and 1978.

1979 Topps #572 Rod Gilbreath
Another guy with a long post-playing-days career in baseball. Rod played for the Braves from 1972-1978, mostly as a part-time player. After he retired in 1980, he joined Braves as a scout. According to Wikipedia, he was still with the Braves organization as of 2011.

1987 Fleer Update Glossy #51 Dion James
Fleer produced glossy versions of its main and update sets in the late 1980s. These were only available as a factory set and were limited in production. About 100,000 of this 1987 set were produced. I imagine a lot of these ended up in a warehouse to eventually find their way into repacks. I've gotten 18 cards from the set that way.

1988 Topps Tiffany #535 Ron Guidry
Topps also produced glossy factory sets, which they called "Tiffany". I had purchased the Phillies cards in this set some years ago. This is the only non-Phillie card from the set I've ever seen. Now I can pull whatever Phillie card I was using as a Reference Card.

1989 Upper Deck #79 Joaquin Andujar
There are always some 1989-1992 Upper Deck cards in repacks. Someday I'm going to complete these sets through repacks. This is one I needed.

1994 Fleer #545 Dennis Martinez
Dennis Martinez is a player I collect and I didn't have this card.

1994 Topps Gold #88 Pat Kelly
1994 was the third year-in-a-row that Topps produced a gold-foil parallel. In 1995, gold foil became part of the base set. Topps won't produce another gold parallel until 2001.

1996 Fleer #190 Jack McDowell
In 1996 and 1997, Fleer's flagship product was printed on thin white card stock with a sort of unfinished feel but with gold foil stamping. This is another card of a player I collect that I needed.

2003 Topps 205 #18b Miguel Tejada
2003 Topps 205 is one of my favorite sets. I've bought hobby boxes of Series 1 and 2 but I don't have the whole set. Some of the cards have alternate versions. I had the other version of this Tejada. I bought this particular repack package because this card was showing and I lucked out.

2004 Topps #459 Ramon Santiago
In cards featuring a batter, you often see a catcher's mitt extended into the picture. I've often thought that the catcher's mitt was the third most shown piece of baseball equipment, after the bat and the ball on baseball cards. This card has a catcher's mitt showing in an unusual place, on a card with a base-running player.

2010 Topps #637 Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig
You can hardly go wrong with a card featuring Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig. I was wondering if this was a real photo. You can find a number of Ruth-Gehrig photos, including this one (in black and white), through a Google image search.


No comments: