Friday, September 12, 2014

My Reference Cards #1 - 2000 Aurora

Today I start a new series of posts, highlighting what I call my Reference Cards. I keep binders with a representative card from each base or insert set I acquire. In this series, I'm going to concentrate on cards issued in 2000 and later. That's a lot of cards.

I'll tell you a bit about the cards and how I came to own them. I'll present them in alphabetical order by base set in each year.  So let's get started.

2000 Aurora
Aurora is a 150-card set issued by Pacific Trading Cards. Pacific had started in the '90s by issuing Spanish language cards but their ambitions grew to encompass sets like this. Aurora was fist issued in 1998. The cards are glossy on both sides. The player name and logo are in gold foil. I only have a handful of these cards, including the Phillies set, which I bought on eBay. I'm not sure where I got the others. There were no subsets in this set. The card design certainly evokes earlier cards by Topps. There is a serial-numbered parallel set.

2000 Aurora Pinstripes
Pinstripes is a full parallel set which replaces the team color background with, you guessed it, pinstripes. They were inserted at a rate of 1:4 packs. I bought this in a card show in 2005 for $0.60. There is also a serial-numbered parallel to this parallel.

2000 Aurora Pennant Fever
 Pennant Fever also appeared in previous sets. It's a 20-card set, inserted at the odd ratio of 4:37 packs. It's glossy front and back with a lot of gold foil on the front, in fact, the bottom quarter of the card is gold foil. I got this on eBay in 2003 for $3.40. This set comes in 3 other serial-numbered flavors, Copper, Platinum Blue, Silver.

2000 Aurora Styrotechs
This is a pretty cool insert set. The 20-card set is die cut on one end to look like a batting helmet. Note the placement of the "KC" on the front and back of the card. This is a numbered insert. I have 184/299. I got this on eBay for $2.99 in 2005.

There are only two other insert sets, Scouting Report and Star Factor, but I don't have any of those.

After a 3-year run, this was the last year for Aurora.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really like the idea of a reference binder... I always enjoy learning about how others organize and store their cards, you've given me something to think about (Jeez, I sound like a spam robot).