Friday, January 10, 2014

January 2014 Card Show - Part 3

More odd cards from the early 2000s.

2003 Fleer Authentix #170 Delmon Young
I bought a few packs of this product back in 2003 but never saw one of these. Cards 162-175 of the set are minor league players. The cards have "Ticket to the Majors" on the front. They also have a replica ticket imbedded into the card and are serial numbered.

2003 Fleer Avant #54 Craig Biggio
Fleer had so many different sets in the 2000s that is hard to keep up with them. The only other card from this set I have is a Mike Schmidt I got at a different card show.

2003 Fleer Rookies and Greats Looming Large Delmon Young
There were a lot of Delmon Young cards in 2003 because he looked to be a future star. He was the Rays #1 draft pick that year. He's had his moments but never became a top rate player.

2003 Upper Deck Play Ball 1941 Series #26 Roy Oswalt
This 2003 Upper Deck set was designed to look like the classic 1941 Play Ball set issued by Gum, Inc., a forerunner of Bowman. The base set were full-sized cards. The 1941 Series were a parallel, in the same size as the original 1941 set. I already had the regular Oswalt from the set. What I didn't know is that the smaller card also has a different background from the full-sized card. You can compare this to a 1940 Play Ball card which I happen to own and which had the same design as the 1941 set, here.

2005 eTopps #156 Gavin Floyd
I've heard of eTopps but this is the first I've owned. I don't really know the concept. The card came in a thick plastic case sealed with a holographic Topps sticker.

2005 Origins Old Judge #277 Stephen Drew

Origins was a 200-card Upper Deck set of which I have none. This is from a 286-card insert. It may be a parallel of the main set but I don't know.

2006 Bowman Chrome Refractors #34 Kevin Youkilis
In 2006, Bowman Chrome was an insert in the regular Bowman packs. I didn't buy much Bowman then and didn't have a single refractor.

No comments: